Jekabpils stands on the banks of the River Daugava 140 km. from Riga. The river twists and turns across the town and continues across the Jзkabpils District for another 93 km. The town was founded at the end of the 17th century. Originally it was a settlement of the Old Believers who were persecuted in Russia. They made their home on the left bank of the river next to the Salas tavern. Bargemen making their way along the river contributed considerably to the settlement’s prosperity. Because of the river rapids they were forced to transfer their goods to wagons. In 1670 the settlement by the Salas tavern was granted the right of town and given the name of Jekabpils (Jakobstadt) in honour of its founder, the Duke of Kurzeme.
The borders of today’s Jekabpils date back to 1962 when the town was merged with the neighbour town of Krustpils. Jзkabpils stands on the strategically significant junction of Riga-Daugavpils and Riga-Rezekne railroads along which passengers and goods are carried to Eastern Europe.
Krustpils Castle – the Jekabpils Historical Museum – with its Soviet Army room, mediaeval underground tunnels and exhibitions held in the castle tower is worth a visit. Other places of interest include the Forest Park next to Radюu basin where there is a beach, volleyball grounds, the path of health and the bank protection dam which serves as a popular promenade.
Buses from Riga. Telephone of the Jзkabpils Bus station: + 371 523 14 73. The timetable is available on the Bus station website. Electric trains from Riga to Kruspils. The timetable is available on the Latvian Railway website.
Tourist information centre in Jekabpils:
Brivibas 140/142 Tel./fax: +371 523 38 22 firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo used is taken from website TAVA.