Tax Free Shopping in Riga, Latvia
Each and every resident of a Non-EU country has rights to get a VAT Refund when shopping in Latvia. The easiest way to get your VAT back is to use TAX FREE Shopping service operated by Global Blue Latvija. This service is provided in more than 800 shops in Riga and other Latvian cities.
How does it work?
- Search Global Blue for TAX FREE Shopping logo at shops’ windows or ask shop-assistances for information.
- To get a TAX FREE cheque, You need to present your passport or special ID Card to a shop assistant. For most goods VAT rate in Latvia is 21% and it is possible to get 16% of the purchase amount back using TAX FREE Shopping service. Beware of the minimum purchase amount that is 30,26 Ls (about 43 EUR). Purchases should be made at one shop during one day.
- Your purchase will be packed and sealed with a special tape. Be sure not to open it until you leave the European Union.
- When leaving European Union the cheque (together with purchase and the ID) must be presented at the Customs, where You will have your cheque stamped by a Customs authority. The purchase should be exported by the person, who is mentioned in the TAX FREE cheque.
- You have a choice of receiving your TAX FREE Refund in cash, on credit card or by bank cheque. If you travel by plane, there is a possibility to get a cash Refund right at the airport. Cash Refunds are also possible at our refund points located in many countries (you can get the information about the Refund points at the website www.global-blue.com or call: +371 67 212 590). As an alternative you can send you cheques to Global Blue and get your Refund on credit card or by bank cheque.
Be sure to follow the following rules:
- The purchase must not be unpacked and used until it is exported from EU
- The purchase should be exported from EU no later than on the last day of the 3rd month following the month of purchase.
- The Tax Free Cheque must be stamped at the Customs (last customs of EU).
- The cheque is valid 6 months from the purchase date. Be sure to get your Refund in cash or to send the cheque to Global Blue till cheque’s expiry date.